Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Red-Brick Bridge

Here's a shot in the early morning, towards the end of golden hour.

I was drawn to this bridge for it's unique red bricks, uncomon for Japan. Also the nice Red Green Blue colour trio.

I used a 9 stop Neutral Density filter for this shot to smooth out the water and remove the cars and people moving across the bridge.

Nine stops is very dark, so the camera's auto focus can't get a lock. In this case I used manual focus and live view.


Red-Brick Bridge
Canon EOS 7D with Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 22.5mm EFL
15sec, f/10 & ISO 100
Kenko ND400, Tripod, Remote Release

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, nice picture. I like the colours in it, and the smooth water you've achieved with the long exposure. How did you go about getting the grass to stay still in the foreground. Was it a really calm morning, or did you stack another image?

    The one thing I would do here is to darken the sky a bit more. I find the white cloud a bit too bright, and it tends to draw my eye upwards from the bridge. There's also a white spot in the grass that tends to catch my eye. Not sure what it is.

    Cheers,
    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff,

    There was very little wind but I think if you look closely you might see some movement in the grass. Also I took about 30 shots of this scene and selected the one with the least movement in the grass and leaves.

    I tried darkening the sky in post but it was a little uneven making it look much less natural, like someone using a polariser on an ultra-wide angle lens.

    The spot in the grass is a flower but due to the high contrast around it, I didn't try to clone it out.


    steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gents,

    It's a nice quiet feeling to this image. I'd prefer that the mobile phone tower or street light wasn't on the bridge though, and the power lines are also a pity but sometimes you can't avoid that.

    Maybe having some people on the bridge would be a nice addition too.

    I do like the smooth water. Geoff is right about that little flower, so you'd either have to practice some photoshop, of maybe bend it down slightly while taking the photo.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete