Monday, December 13, 2010

Rainbow Bridge

Ok so enough with the compact camera shots from 7 years ago. Here's one from some upgraded equipment.

I was out the other day at Odaiba, across the bay from Tokyo. Here is a classic shot of Rainbow Bridge. Can you guess why? While walking around grabbing various shots from various angles, I must have seen about a half a dozen other photographers with tripods and remote timers, doing much the same thing.


Rainbow Bridge
Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens at 136mm EFL.
0.4s, f/2.8, ISO 100
Camera was tripod mounted with a remote shutter release.

So what could have been better here?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Here are my comments.
    The good:
    I love all of the colours in this. The shin off of the water is terrific. Did you do any with a longer exposure time? I'd like to see smoother water.

    The bad:
    This is good for a nighttime shot, but I'd like to see the same shot taken at twilight. Do they still have the lights on the bridge at that time of day? Getting some colour in the sky behind the bridge would have been terrific.

    Overall, I do like this photo.
    Very nicely done.

    Regards
    Craig.
    Ps: I haven't tried taking photos in the golden hour myself yet, but its on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,

    I'd probably have to agree with Craig, I find the black in this picture too black. It would be nice to see a little bit of colour in the sky.

    I also find the big black tree bank under the bridge (right side) distracting, because it separates the top bridge half of the picture from the bottom water half of the picture, and my eye bounces between them. It might be interesting to crop the right side of the picture off a bit to see what it looks like as a vertical focusing on the bridge pillars.

    Colour wise, the orange green of the bottom right boat matches with the top of the bridge, but I don't feel the flow because of the black negative space. The blue green of the other boat however flows nicely into the pillars of the bridge.

    Cheers,
    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete