Monday, February 7, 2011

Little Egret

Hi All,

This is a shot of a Little Egret in early morning light. The reason for the dark background was that I exposed the image for the highlights in the bird's feathers. Thus the shaded lake and trees in the background were very underexposed, creating an interesting spotlight effect.



Little Egret
Canon EOS 7D with a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM + 2.0x TC at 640mm EFL
1/1600s, f/5.6 & ISO 100 - tripod mounted


My question here is about the crop. Typically I crop my verticals to a 4:5 ratio, however with this shot the egret looks a little fat with that kind of crop. This is a 2:3 crop which I think suits the slender shape of an Egret. How about a square crop?

I'm also interested in your feedback about the negative space around the bird. How much is enough, on the top, left and right sides? I can't add any more from the bottom.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I like the lighting in this image. I'd like to see a higher resolution version to appreciate the details in the long feathers.

    I think your cropping is appropriate for the image you have to work with.

    If you could do it again, I'd do the following.

    I'd try maybe just a little space around the bird all over. Probably just enlarge the cropping area evenly, then move the crop down so that you have a little more of the pole, and a little less above its head, but then you'd have a little more on the left and right also.

    That's the only thing I'd change, but it is a pity your original doesn't have that little bit extra poll in the image.

    Regards
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,

    I would have liked to have an extra half inch or so of space on the lower part of the image and then add a fraction of space all around. As is, it looks too much like I've just clipped the toe of the egret.


    steve

    ReplyDelete