Thursday, February 10, 2011

IRC Heli

I thought it was time I started playing around with my new Tilt Shift lens. For my subject, I used a IR controlled model helicopter. I tilted the lens so the plane of focus runs more or less along the side of the helicopter, greatly increasing the apparent depth of field. However at such a close distance, the tail rotor is still out of focus.


IRC Heli
Canon EOS 7D with a Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L II at 38mm EFL
1/250s, f/8 & ISO 100 - tripod, remote release, tilt 8.5° R
Lighting: main flash camera right, accent lighting camera left.

For this image I was practising my off camera flash technique, and working on getting a reflection with a black background. My question here is about the placement of flash units. I used two units and some reflectors to bounce the light back. I like the accent light on the nose of the heli, but the shadow under the nose is a bit too strong and the canopy lacks a string outline too. What do you think? Anything that has too much or too little light? Also what about the position of the heli and it's rotors? Would you change it's orientation?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Helicopters = awesome :)

    I didn't know you could make your tilt and shift lens alight for horizontal images. That's great! I thought it was just for vertical shifting for buildings.

    With regards to the flash: I think this image is let down by not having enough light on the cockpit area. I like the light on the side, but I'd like to see where I would be sitting (even if I was the size of a lego man) :)

    The reflection is nicely done under the model. Is that done with clear perspex and a black sheet or something like that?

    I like the orientation. The only thing I'd change is to get some more light in the cockpit.

    Cheers
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craig,

    Tilting the plane of focus is a very cool feature of tilt/shift lens. I wish I could do that with a macro lens.

    In this case to get the reflection, I used a black piece of perspex and a large sheet of black paper for the base and background. Clear would be just as good but I couldn't find any.


    steve

    ReplyDelete