Friday, February 11, 2011

Hong Kong

Hi All,

Here's one of my favourite cities, Hong Kong, photographed from Mt Victoria.


Hong Kong
Canon EOS Kiss X Digital with a Sigma DC 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 Macro at 28mm EFL
13sec, f/8 & ISO 100 - tripod mounted, self-timer release


I would love to go back with a full frame camera and a 24mm tilt/shift lens to capture this scene again. I'd also try it in winter so it's not so hazy too. In this image the haze is quite noticeable so I boosted the contrast a lot to cut through the haze. I also straightened up the buildings in software, where a tilt/shift lens would have been better.

My question about this shot is related to my post processing. I played with several other variations that darkened the sky along the upper edge of the image to more contain the eye. This is one of the brighter ones. Do you think it's too bright or would it be better darkened to more rhyme with the shaded trees along the bottom?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I really like this one too.
    It reminds me of Ghost in the Shell, even though its been such a long time since I've seen it.

    I like the light version myself.

    It gives me the feeling that even at night, the entire place has so much light shining about that the sky is glowing.

    How would you use your T&S lens on this one? Would you line it up so that it has a vertical alignment with the first building, or would you shift it the other way that that it was taking a horizontal plane through the city as the main image plane?

    Regards
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete