Sunday, January 30, 2011

Timeless

For something a little different. Here's a black and white image.

I found this old cart in one of the samurai gardens of Chiran, Southern Japan. It was rather rundown but had an old rustic charm about it. I converted the image to black and white to more emphasis it's timeless appearance.



Timeless
Canon EOS Kiss X Digital with a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM at 35mm EFL
1/25s, f/4.5 & ISO 100 - handheld


Do you like the conversion? Would you prefer to see the colour version?

Edit: 6 Jan 2011

Here is the colour version.

Timeless
The above image in colour

3 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,

    I've seen this image in colour, and I think the black and white does make it look older.

    The colour image is very nice as well. But I think I prefer this one.

    I like the angle and lines that the cart make going from bottom left to top right. Nicely framed.

    Regards
    Craig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't really imagine this picture being better in colour, unless there's a fantastic arrangement of plant colours. For me, it definitely works in B&W. The different shapes and lines in the picture are great, from the rock border and side wall, the big wooden wheel and spokes, the cart handles leading into the picture nicely, and the plants mostly shooting straight up. I think it's great.

    The only part I have any issue with, and it's fairly minor, is the range of bright plants in a sort of V in the top center. I can't easily distinguish what comes from what plant, so it becomes a bit of a jumbled mess for me. But overall, I like the image.

    Would be curious to see the colour image now. :)

    Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff,

    I have to agree with you. I don't really like those bright leaves at the top of the cart. However I don't really know how to fix them. I probably need some local adjustments to that area, but it's beyond the scope of Lightroom.

    The original is mostly a green shot so colour isn't really that amazing. However I'll add it to the original post.


    steve

    ReplyDelete